Giving up smoking is one of the most important steps to improve your health and well being. According to the HSE, smoking is responsible for over 5,200 deaths each year in Ireland. It is also stated that 1 in every 2 smokers will die of a smoking-related disease. If you are ready to stop smoking, or are just thinking about it we are here to offer advice and guidance on this journey. Our smoking cessation service is free to anyone who is ready to take the next step in quitting smoking.
One of our pharmacists will help you on your way to kicking the habit for good. According to the HSE, you are twice as likely to succeeded in quitting smoking by having expert advice and guidance.
Health benefits of giving up smoking
When you give up smoking you will start seeing the benefits immediately. Below is a timeline of the health improvements you will see over the years:
- After the first month smoke free you will notice an improvement in your skin. It will be brighter, clearer, and will be a lot more hydrated.
- 3-9 months in, you will start feeling improvements in your lungs. Your lung function may have improved by up to 10%.
- After one year you will have reduced the risk of a heart attack and heart disease to 50% of a non smoker.
- After 10 years your risk of lung cancer will be reduced by up to half.
- Lastly, after 15 years your risk of heart disease and heart attacks is the same as a non smoker.
What does our Smoking cessation advice include?
- Tips on how to break the habit.
- Products that may help you quit.
- Advice on how to beat the cravings.
At Delany’s Pharmacy, we also stock a range of products that will help you quit smoking. Nicotine Replacement Therapy products can greatly improve your chances of quitting for good.
Tips to stop smoking:
- Write down the reasons why you want to quit. By being clear on why you want to quit will help you stay focused.
- Get support – having friends and family to talk to and lean on can help you through your cravings. We are also here as a support.
- Get moving – exercise has been proven as a means to beat the cravings in a positive way.
- Reward yourself – set yourself goals, and when you reach them make sure to reward yourself. This will help keep you motivated.
Get in touch today to book your appointment with one of our trained advisors.